Alabama Spelling Bee
Individual Eligibility Requirements for Spellers
- Spellers must attend a school or be a member of a home school association that is
officially enrolled with the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- Spellers must not have passed beyond the eighth grade on or before February 1, 2009,
and must not have reached their 15th birthday by September 1, 2008.
- Once having been disqualified at any level of a sponsor's spelling bee program between
June 2008 and March 2009, they remain disqualified for the 2009 National Spelling
Bee and may not seek advancement in the program through another sponsor or through
- Spellers, their parents, educators, relatives or acquaintances must not have obtained
a copy of the 2009 School Pronouncer Guide for use in studying.
- Parents/guardians of participants in the Alabama Spelling Bee must agree to allow
their child to compete in the Scripps National Spelling Bee May 23-29, 2009, in
Washington, D.C. if he/she is declared the state winner. (Adventure Travel pays
expenses for the contestant and a parent or guardian.)
See Rules for Local Spelling Bees for complete eligibility details.